Friday, December 30, 2011

And the prize for most trash "salvaged" this week goes to . . .

. . . who else, but my borderline hoarder husband. 

I think he's taking my blog tag line (don't throw that away just yet!) a little too seriously. I'm all for free items, especially ones we can recreate and reuse, but I just have to draw the line somewhere. 

Within the last 24 hours he volunteered our house to adopt some of the most bizarre "I'll turn it into art" things I've seen all year. 

First up: the legs and feet of a turkey my brother killed on a hunting trip earlier this year. They're sitting, petrified, in my mom's basement, and of course, MQ thinks they're perfect for a project. 

We haven't actually seen them in person but I'm imagining they'll be something like this 

(I'm trying not to vomit just looking at these): 
I mean, really? A dead turkey's feet? He thinks if he just spray paints them a bright neon color they'll be much cooler and less creepy. I disagree. That's disgusting.

Then, this afternoon I got a 'warning' phone call as he came home from work: 
"I got some felt Christmas decorations they were going to throw away. . . . " 

Fine. What's not to love about felt and crafts and Christmas?

 And then I get to the car, see that the backseat is down to allow room for the massive size of these felt decorations. 

I kid you not. A life size felt buck (fine, a small buck, but it's huge!).
Really? Do we really want and/or need this in our home? 

He did get some really cute small Christmas trees he set up on the mantel immediately.
I do love them. A lot. 


But, if the buck and the mini trees weren't enough, he also got about 10 life size trees to go with it and tried to create some sort of winter forest in our living room. I remain unconvinced that these will make an appearance again next Christmas. 
(They do have some sturdy metal stands though which is pretty neat)

Although the forest got quickly shuffled to the basement (along with two 6-feet tall birch tree branches . . .), the buck remained, currently standing on our entryway table. I am waiting him to go downstairs as well, but MQ is convinced it is perfect wall art. 


In all honesty, we have spent the past 18 months searching for an affordable, modern piece of art to hang right there, and this buck was certainly affordable . . . but I just am not seeing it. 
We're not nature people. 
We prefer the indoors to the out. 
We don't hunt yet we aren't hard-core animal lovers either.
 It seems odd to welcome a buck into our living room. And turkey legs. 

There have been talks of spray painting him though (silver? olive green? navy blue?), and maybe I'd let him stay if it turned out . . . but only temporarily. Until we find a better, just as affordable (aka, free) piece of art to replace him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment