Monday, January 9, 2012

A pair of chairs

Remember how after I finished my most recent "Christmas present for Michael" chair I decided it needed an identical twin (because you can never have too many yellow chairs, right?)? 

It looked so small and kind of naked in our living room and I figured having two would look cute. It was easy enough to re-do so I started a Craigslist hunt for one similar.

And for just $10 this one could be mine. Perfect. I'll take it. 

So we drove a good 30 minutes (at least!) to pick it up and then I had immediate Craigslist buyers remorse and had a slight panic attack on Vic's front porch.

Problem #1: I hated it. Too big. Too ugly. To bizarre looking. Plus, highly likely that squirrels or some other animal were recently living in/on it. 

Problem #2: Extensive Catholic guilt meant I couldn't not buy it. I mean, Vic was a really nice old man, likely about to move into a retirement home, and we drove a half hour and it was only $10, and he was so cute and nice . . . . what else could I do?

It wasn't that bad - it just wasn't quite what I was looking for. Plus, it was a rocking chair. 

Yeah. It rocks. . . . I thought it was broken at first, but no, it's meant to be like that. You're supposed to sit down and feel like you're about to fall backwards. . . . 

Sigh . . . we loaded her up and I pouted the whole way home.

Got her inside, stripped her down immediately, checked for evidence of squirrels, bedbugs, mold, and all other disgusting things it's quite possible you'll find on Craigslist purchases. She was clean. 

I decided to work on it, and if I didn't like it, just sell it. No use it letting her go to waste at that point. 

Given my anti-excitement about this chair, I worked quickly, quietly, and without documentation. 
Completed her within the week. 

Came up with this:

It's a cute chair and I do like it (I mean, it is basically identical to my number one love so it's slightly bizarre that I'm still so undecided about it). The rocking was minimized slightly so it's not quite so startling when you sit down, and I suppose it's not as big as I was originally thinking. 


We spent a good 45 minutes rearranging furniture. Turning tables and couches and chairs every which way, trying to decide where it belongs.
 I'm wondering if maybe the room is just too small for all my beloved chairs. 

(The original is on the right, new rocker is on the left . . . and I tried to vote to put our suitcase coffee table away but that was immediately vetoed . . . )


sigh . . . I don't know. Maybe you can have too many yellow chairs in one room?

In the meantime, they're staying. We may be experiencing daily furniture rearranging - but already they're growing on me as a couple. 

Classes start again tomorrow, meaning I'll be on a crafting and upholstering hiatus. For four months.   Maybe I can find a small project or two to keep me sane in the meantime.


No comments:

Post a Comment