Wednesday, March 21, 2012

So, I want a bike . . . .

I'm fairly certain the last time I rode a bicycle was when we were in Ireland in 2005 on the Aran Islands. I seem to recall a very fast and frantic ride across the island after we realized the last ferry for the day was leaving soon and Michael had an exam to get back for the next morning. . . .

So, no, I'm not a rider. However, gas prices will kill our budget this summer (they have already) and so I figured I may as well just buy a cute little bicycle. 

Maybe this one . . . .
Or this . . . I love that teal. 
we're going as retro and cute and girly as possible. 

Let's say it's $150. Could I save that much in gas money over the course of the summer? 
Perhaps. Depends on how much I ride. I've mapped out a route to school that would help me avoid major hills and major traffic (both of which I fear) and I'm convinced that if I get a really cute basket, my laptop and books could ride along nicely AND I could make little grocery store trips with it. 

And then I remember I don't really like to sweat. Especially not on the way to class. Or anywhere public. Nor am I an outdoor person.  

And I start to think that $200 later I'll end up with a beautiful teal bike, the cutest helmet a girl can find, a little bell, and a wicker basket . . . . that sits in my basement as a drive to school to avoid the heat/rain/humidity/cars/bugs, etc. I'll find any excuse. 

It's like when I thought by simply purchasing a guitar I would instantaneously become the next Jewel. The lessons just never took on these tiny fingers.

For now, I'll scour Craigslist. Maybe I can find a used, $50 bike that I can paint and beautify and not feel so bad about using only once. 

2 comments:

  1. I just got a GREAT bike on craigslist for $50 and had Tomás and a friend help me (they did all the work) fix it up. There are tons of GREAT website for fixing vintage bikes (with tips on green ways to clean) so that was very helpful.

    Go craigslist!!1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! That gives me confidence I'll find something good. I'm hoping rummage sale season will be helpful too :)

      Delete